Godmer Immigration Consultant

How to stay in Canada after you have completed your studies?

Permanent residency for international students

As an international student in Canada, you might be wondering how to make your stay more permanent. Luckily, there are several pathways available that can help you obtain permanent residency. In this article, we will explore the most popular options.

One of the most common ways for international students to obtain permanent residency in Canada is through the Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP) and the Canadian Experience Class (CEC) program. If you’ve graduated from a program that lasted eight months or longer, you can apply for a PGWP, which is an open work permit. This means you don’t need a job offer to apply, and you can work for any employer in Canada. The length of the permit depends on the duration of your program and can last up to three years. During this time, you can gain valuable work experience in Canada, which can help you qualify for the CEC program. To be eligible, you need to have at least one year of full-time work experience in Canada in a skilled occupation, and meet the language and education requirements. This program is designed to help skilled workers transition to permanent residency. It is important to note that you are only eligible to apply for a PGWP once, so it is important to plan ahead and make it count.

Another popular option is the Federal Skilled Worker Program (FSWP), which is part of the Express Entry system. To be eligible, you must have at least one year of skilled work experience in a foreign country and meet the minimum language and education requirements. Completing an educational program in Canada is not a requirement of this program, but it can give you extra points in the ranking system. The FSWP program is designed for skilled workers who want to become permanent residents in Canada.

The Federal Skilled Trades Program (FSTP) is another pathway for international students to become permanent residents in Canada. This program is aimed at skilled tradespeople who have experience in specific occupations such as electricians, plumbers, and chefs. To be eligible, you need to have at least two years of work experience in your trade and meet the minimum language and education requirements. You also need to have either a valid job offer in Canada for full-time employment of a minimum of 1 year or a certificate of qualification in your trade issued by a Canadian authority. Similarly to the FSWP, completing a post-secondary program in Canada is not a requirement, but it can be a great advantage.

Applicants who have completed a post-secondary program in Canada, such as a diploma or degree, are awarded extra points for their Canadian education under the CRS system. The number of points awarded may depend on the level and length of your program. Additionally, completing a diploma or degree in Canada could improve your language skills and make you better equipped to adapt to a Canadian work environment.

Finally, each province and territory in Canada has its own Provincial Nominee Program (PNP), which allows them to nominate candidates for permanent residency based on their specific needs. PNPs can offer international students a unique pathway to permanent residency if they have completed their studies and gained relevant work experience in the province or territory. If you are interested in immigrating to a particular province, it might be a good idea to plan for an education and a career that are particularly valued in that area. For example, the British Columbia Provincial Nominee Program (BC PNP) has specific categories for international graduates of BC post-secondary institutions who have job offers in certain occupations. Manitoba also offers the International Education Stream (IES) for Manitoba graduates.

In conclusion, there are several ways for international students to obtain permanent residency in Canada. Whether it’s through the PGWP and CEC program, FSWP, FSTP, or PNPs, there are many options available that can help you achieve your goal of making Canada your home. We can help you explore all the options available and choose the pathway that works best for you.

Contact us today to plan your immigration journey to Canada!